Do I need to obtain a building permit?
- This is a very important question a lot of customers ask.
- The regulations vary from city to city, or rural area, this all depends on your city or county.
- The bottom line is that all buyers should call their local building official.
- In most of the cities in order to build a new Steel Structure homeowners (buyers) are more than likely required by the city or township to obtain a permit for the project.
- Cost for permit varies widely, depending on the location and size of the Carport or Building.
- For larger projects, certain inspector’s visits are required, and fees are generally intended to cover the cost of those inspections.
Building Permit Process
- The building permit process involves filing out an application (by buyer).
- Providing a site plan (layout of the project).
- Two sets of drawings are normally required (some areas require calculations as well as drawings).
These requirements are generally the same in most of the cities, and homeowners (buyers) should always check to be sure before beginning construction.
- Dreams Carports & Buildings Inc, is not responsible to obtain a Building Permit for any customer (Please see back of contract).
- Dreams Carports & Buildings Inc., can supply Drawings for an additional charge (drawings and calculations are sold separately).
Once again when purchasing a building it is very important to know what the specific city building code is if you are to obtain a Building Permit.
Important information to ask your city:
- What is the Snow Load PSF required for my specific building location?
- Is that Ground Snow Load or Roof Live Snow Load?
- What is the Wind Load – MPH required for my specific building location?
- What is the largest size of building I can build on my property?
- How far away from Property line can I build?
- Do I need Engineer Stamped Drawings/ Calculations?
Please keep in mind that Dreams Carports will not have information on what your city or county require for your building to meet local code. This is customers Responsibility.