Do I need to obtain a Building Permit?
Many customers ask if they need a building permit. Regulations vary from city to city, or rural areas, and the requirement for a building permit depends on your city or county. Dreams Carports & Buildings Inc. does NOT supply building permits. The following guidelines will help answer any questions you might have about the need for a building permit:
- All buyers should call their local building official.
- In most cities, in order to build a new steel structure, homeowners (buyers) are more than likely required by the city or township to obtain a permit for the project.
- The cost for a building permit varies widely and depends on the location and size of the carport or building.
- For larger projects, certain inspector’s visits are required, and fees are generally intended to cover the cost of those inspections.
Building Permit Process
What’s the process for obtaining a building permit?
- The building permit process involves filing out an application (by buyer)
- Providing a site plan (layout of the project)
- Two set of drawings are normally required (some areas require calculations as well as drawings).
These requirements are generally the same in most of the cities. However, homeowners (buyers) should always check to be sure before beginning construction.
- Dreams Carports & Buildings Inc., is not responsible for obtaining a building permit for any customer (Please see back of contract).
- Dreams Carports & Buildings Inc., can supply drawings for an additional charge (drawings and calculations are sold separately).
- Once again, when purchasing a building, it is very important to know what the specific city building code is if you are obtaining a building permit.
Important Information to Ask Your City
Know your city’s regulations.
Make sure to ask your city for this important information. It will help you choose the right product and save you time.
- What is the Snow Load Pounds per Square Foot (PSF) required for my specific building location?
- Is that Ground Snow Load or Roof Live Snow Load?
- What is the Wind Load – Miles per Hour (MPH) – required for my specific building location?
- What is the largest size of building I can build on my property?
- How far away from property line can I build?
- Do I need engineer-stamped drawings/calculations?
Please keep in mind that Dreams Carports & Buildings Inc., will not have information on what your city or county require for your building to meet local code. This is the customer’s Responsibility.